The Medalist is the newsletter from the US Olympic & Paralympic Sailing Program and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. During the London 2012 Olympic Games, The Medalist was published daily, and provided complete coverage of all US Sailing Team news and results. All news from London is archived here.
Our world-class athletes are traveling the globe, racing at some of the biggest, most competitive Olympic and Paralympic class events with the Rio 2016 Games in their sights. Who are these athletes, and what does it take to be the world's best sailors? What gives them the edge over other sailors? How do they train on and off the water? Read on ... and sail fast!
Sign up Now
- The Medalist, June 2012 As the final event held at the Olympic Sailing venue, Sail for Gold paid off for US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider with silver and bronze medals. Details on "Good Luck USA presented by Maclaren" send-off party for the Olympic & Paralympic Sailing Teams, plus Q&A with US Sailing Olympic Development Team member Erika Reineke.
- The Medalist May 2012 May brings big news for the US Sailing Team when its announced that Sperry Top-Sider has joined as the new title sponsor. Also, the US Olympic Team is complete when the US Olympic Qualifying Regatta selects the three women's match racers who will go to London this summer. The Team brings home four medals from French Olympic Sailing Week, the 4th stop on the ISAF Sailing World Cup series.
- The Medalist April 2012 As the calendar counts down to the 2012 Games, the Team heads to Europe for the Spring/Summer season. First up is the Princess Sofia Trophy regatta where we brought home gold and silver medals. We also check in with 2.4mR representative Mark LeBlanc and see how his training plan in coming along.
- The Medalist March 2012 Before we close the books on 2011, the Team is proud to share the news that Anna Tunnicliffe was named US Sailing's 2011 Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year. To support our 2012 US Olympic and Paralympic Teams this summer, the Sailing Foundation of New Yokr and the New York Yacht Club hosted the 2012 Golden Spinnaker Gala. Also, find out who was selected from among the country's top young sailors to the 2012 Youth Wolds Team.
- The Medalist February 2012 With fewer than 200 days until the Games begin, the Team collects medals from US Sailing's Rolex Miami OCR, the IFDS Worlds and it's official, the US Paralympic Sailing Team is selected.
- The Medalist, September 2011 With the announcement of a new format and selection process for the 2012 US Sailing Development Team, this issue provides the details and advice for aspiring young sailors.
- The Medalist, August 2011 In this issue, we highlight Team USA's performance at the London 2012 Olympic Test Event, get a mid-year performance review from our High Performance Director Kenneth Andreasen, and recap the ISAF Youth Worlds where the US Youth Team won three silver medals.
- The Medalist - June 2011 In this issue, we take a look back at Sail for Gold, the first of two Selection Events for the US Olympic Team and meet Erika Reineke, a member of USSTAG as well as the 2011 U.S. Youth Worlds Team.
- The Medalist - May 2011 US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics won four medals at French Sailing Week, two medals at Princess Sofia Trophy in the World Cup lead up to Sail for Gold next month. We profile Olympian Sally Barkow and her team's quest for another Olympic berth, while Star team George Szabo and Mark Strube discuss their preparation for the Olympic Team Selection.
- The Medalist - April 2011 In this issue of The Medalist Olympic Sailing Committee Dean Brenner and High Performance Director/Head Coach Kenneth Andreasen comment on recent World Cup performance and goals going forward. With Spring in the air, the athletes are heading to France and report on new teams, new boats and the effects of Spring Training Camps.
- The Medalist - March 2011 In this issue of The Medalist we introduce you to the 2011 US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics, the 2011 US Sailing Development Team, and the 2011 Youth Worlds Team. Take a look back at 2010 with us and review the highlights of the year. Amanda Clark introduces us to her new Women's 470 crew, Mark LeBlanc takes us into his 2.4mR campaign, and we report on the first two ISAF Sailing World Cup events of the new season.
- The Medalist - September 2010 USSTAG sailors won two bronze medals at Sail for Gold, the final ISAF Sailing World Cup event. Also awarded were Sailing World Cup medals based on accumulated points from the seven events, and USSTAG picked up two silver medals and one bronze. Whitman/Dorset scored a silver medal at the 2010 IFDS Worlds and qualified the U.S. in the SKUD-18 class for the 2012 Paralympic Games. To read about USSTAG victories, watch exclusive videos and see photos from the summer, check out the newest edition of The Medalist.