2009 US Youth World Team
US SAILING’s Youth World Team
US SAILING annually supports the Youth World Team, which represents the United States at the Volvo Youth Sailing ISAF World Championship. The team members must qualify for the team each year, based on their on-the-water results at a pre-determined qualifying event or resume.
Ten youth sailors have qualified for US SAILING's 2009 Youth World Team, which will compete at the 39th Volvo Youth Sailing ISAF World Championship in Buzios, Brazil from July 9-18, 2009. Athletes will compete in seven classes: Laser Radial (boys), Laser Radial (girls), International 420s (boys), International 420s (girls), Hobie 16s with spinnaker (open), RS:X (boys) and RS:X (girls). Eight of the athletes were selected based on first-place finishes in their respective classes at the 2009 US SAILING ISAF Youth World Qualifier and U.S. Youth Multihull Championship Regatta at Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach, California in January, 2009. Athletes in the boys’ and girls’ windsurfing classes were chosen by resume.
The members of US SAILING’s 2009 Youth World Team are:
· Laser Radial (boys): Chris Barnard (Newport Beach, Calif.)
· Laser Radial (girls): Marissa Lihan (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
· International 420s (boys): Ian Liberty (Colt’s Neck, N.J.) and Alex Whipple (Plandome, N.Y.)
· Club 420s (girls): Morgan Kiss (Holland, Mich.) and Laura McKenna (Palo Alto, Calif.)
· Hobie 16s with spinnaker (open): Korbin Kirk (Long Beach, Calif.) and Daniel Segerblom (Costa Mesa, Calif.)
Athletes in the boys’ and girls’ windsurfing classes were chosen by resume and did not compete at the 2009 Youth World Qualifier. Also qualifying for the 2009 Youth World Team are:
· RS:X (boys): Chris Gardiner (St. Petersburg, Fla.)
· RS:X (girls): Solvig Sayre (Vineyard Haven, Mass.)
The 2009 Youth World Team will be led by Team Leader Jay Kehoe and coached by Leandro Spina for the doublehanded classes and Bern Noack for the singlehanded and windsurfing classes.
The 2010 Youth World Team will be determined by performances at the 2010 US SAILING ISAF Youth World Qualifier, which will be held January 16-18, 2010 at Clearwater Yacht Club in Clearwater, Florida. The winner of each event will receive invitations to represent the United States at the 2010 Volvo Youth Sailing ISAF World Championship in Istanbul, Turkey, from July 8-17, 2010.